Halloween is fun and exciting for the family. These 10 tips will ensure that your celebration safe too!
- Plan a trick-or-treating route in familiar neighborhoods with well-lit streets.
- Consider adding reflective tape or striping to costumes and trick-or-treat bags for greater visibility.
- Avoid letting children trick-or-treat alone. Have them walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
- Have children carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers and others.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Use established crosswalks wherever possible.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible. Children should walk on direct routes with the fewest street crossings.
- Only visit well-lit houses and enter only if you or another trusted adult is present.
- Be sure children do not approach any vehicle, occupied or not, unless you are with them.
- Eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers.
- Examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.
For more tips on kids safety this Halloween, check out this article from Safe Kids Worldwide.
Bonus Tip: HAVE FUN!
Want to keep your kids from overloading on sugar? Read how to tame your child’s sweet tooth.
And get some alternative treats for kids with allergies and diet restrictions.