Holidays at home are the perfect opportunity to make memories with your kids by doing fun activities. While you are celebrating Passover and Easter, enjoy getting a little messy with your family by trying a few of these five crafts.
Retell the plague of the locusts with this craft during Passover.
- Egg carton
- Green paint, markers or crayons
- Pipe cleaners
- Wiggly eyes, or marker to draw the eyes
- Exacto knife or another sharp object (to poke holes)
- Rubber ball and straight pins (for bounce)
- Cut a three-section strip from an egg carton. Use paint, markers or crayons to color it green.
- Bend pipe cleaners to form the grasshopper legs. Either poke a hole in the egg carton and hook them through that way or simply bend them over the edge of the egg carton and tape them down on the inside. Cut a smaller section for the antennae and fold it in half. Cut two small holes in the front, top egg carton section and push the pipe cleaner through to form the antennae. Then glue on the wiggly eyes.
- To make the grasshopper jump, use a rubber ball large enough to fill the middle section of the body. Use straight pins pushed through the carton into the ball to hold it in place.
(Source: Motherhood on a Dime)
Toilet Roll Easter Bunny Stamp
This recycled toilet roll craft will be a hit with the kids.
- Toilet paper rolls
- Glue gun
- Paper plate
- Fold one side of a toilet paper roll to a sharp point and then do the same for a second toilet roll to make the ears. Then using the hot glue gun, stick them to the third circular toilet roll. Allow the glue to dry.
- Stamp your paper to make the bunny rabbits. Allow the outline to dry.
- Draw in the bunny face and ears, or maybe even a carrot!
(Source: The Mad House)
DIY Paper Daffodil
Ready to try something a little more advanced? There’s a 3D and a template version of this craft. Choose your own adventure!
- Construction or cardstock paper (yellow, orange, white)
- Cupcake liners
- Craft sticks or straws
- Follow the video instructions or use this template to make your daffodil petals.
- Glue the cupcake liner to the center of the flower.
- Glue the flower to a green paint stick for the stem and let dry.
Read the full instructions at S&S Blog.
Use your extra matzo crackers for more than snacking during Passover!
- A rectangular piece of cardboard (about 12 by 14 inches)
- Aluminum foil
- 5 sheets of matzoh
- Matzo crackers
- 2 cups almond butter
- A pastry bag or resealable plastic bag
- 1 cup Matzo meal
- Assorted kosher-for-Passover candies and chocolates, such as fruit slices, marshmallow twists and jelly rings
- Create the Base
- Construct the House Walls
- Assemble the Roof
- Decorate the House
- Attach the Roof
Read the full instructions at Epicurious.
Bunny and Chick Stick Puppets
Use these stick puppets for spring or Easter-themed fingerplays, stories and learning activities.
- Paper or cardstock
- Crayons or colored pencils
- Craft sticks or drinking straws
- Glue stick
- Draw your own bunny and chick or print out the bunny and chick stick puppets template.
- Color the bunny and chick with crayons or colored pencils. Then cut out the animals.
- Glue or tape a craft stick or drinking straw at the back of each animal.
(Source: First Palette)
Looking for more craft fun? Try one of these STEM Easter crafts!
Kisha D. Lester is the senior editorial and digital manager at National PTA.